Monday, July 4, 2011

THE PERFECT COLOR



You just never know where or when it's going to hit you. The perfect color reference. 
Not a photo. Photos can be deceiving. Nope. I'm talking about a genuine, bonafide physical object. Something with shape, curvature, edges. Something you can hold in your hand and admire in direct sunlight. It happened to me yesterday as Drew and Debbie and I toured the local thrift shops in search of mid-century objects, beaded dresses, vintage snap shirts and vintage costume jewelry to make into custom shift knobs.  

I rounded the corner and there it was in all of it's glory. Viola'! 
A helmet in the exact color I've had in my head. 


I picked it up in my hand and was instantly amazed by how it looked both silvery and light turquoisey (yeah, I know... it's not a word). It reminded me of the curvaceous pieces of metal that you often see paint samples displayed upon at major car shows (SEMA, for instance). I naturally had to buy it. Now all I have to do is visit a good paint store to find the same color. Or cruise mall parking lots on busy days with helmet in tow. Here's a shot of it. Just for grins, let's see how close it is to some of the references I've already pulled. As you can see, the helmet goes more to the blue side than the Charger, which was my color of choice until yesterday. 
I know have the exact color. I'll keep you posted, 

No comments: