Saturday, May 7, 2011

PROPER CARE AND HANDLING OF FRESH METAL HEADERS

This is one of those note to self entries. Matt and I had a follow-up chat after I received my handmade pipes in the mail. The subject? The proper prep and storage of fresh metal pipes, prior to installation. Matt advised that since I would neither be installing the pipes right away, nor ceramic coating them anytime soon, avoiding flashing was something I'd want to be mindful of. I told him I'd be storing them indoors (which he was glad to hear) and here's what he advised. Coat the headers in a metal prep product that contain no silicone base (which can make coating them problematic) and load 'em into large trash bags. Seal the bags and keep it as warm and dry as possible. Thanks, Matt. Off to the hardware store I go.

No comments: