Saturday, July 16, 2011

WHAT A VINTAGE VW CAN TEACH YOU ABOUT COLOR




We hit a first annual Vintage VW show today here in Denver. In all, there were probably less than fifty cars in attendance. But a good crowd it was, and there were some really cool VWs and people, ranging from tasteful restored vans and bugs to Cal Bugs and Karman Ghias. A handful of vans, a squareback or two and even one notchback were there as well. As Deb and I walked among the cars in attendance, I was struck by how tasteful and restrained many of the stock colors were in the late fifties and early sixties. If I had to cite my three faves, they were all subtle, stock colored beetles with custom mods, tasteful rims and stock fabrics used throughout their interiors. Their exterior colors were extremely restrained. Not a hint of metallic. One was a very light tan color and another was a medium gray. A third was a very light value of seafoam green. As I looked at these beetles, and their cloth material interiors on stock seats, it reinforced to me how a restrained color and fabrics can really set the stage for bringing out the custom mods. I'm definitely onto a restrained track with the colors I'm considering. But maybe I won't even use metallic. Yep, there it is. I said it.

No comments: