Friday, January 8, 2010

ANOTHER TWIST

It turns out that Currie cannot build me the shortened axle shafts for my 9" because its flanges have a very narrow (1.5"from the flange to the backing plates). According to Travis, Currie could build them but they'd push the drums out an extras 3/4". Obviously, that ain't gonna fly on an open wheeled roadster.
Fortunately, Travis was nice enough to redirect me to Graffiti Alley in Eugene, Oregon. I dealt with a guy named Ray who asked for numerous measurements and once he had them, let me know that it would be no problem and that he just wanted to make sure he had every measurement necessary so that the axles would be perfect. He even called me back today to get one more measurement. So it turns out I have a 70's old style big bearing, 31-spline,  9" with a Detroit Locker carrier from a Bronco, which is what the seller had told me. The axles got a little more expensive they're made in the USA and I've been told they'll be perfect.  I'm going to pitch myself off a roof if these don't fit perfectly. BTW, I was most happy to get a referrral from Travis, so high marks to Currie for being helpful, even thought they won't be seeing any money form me. Not this time, anyway.

No comments: