Sunday, August 7, 2011

GOLDEN INSPIRATION



I went to the Golden Cruise last night and had a walk around with my youngest son. It was a great source of inspiration. We showed up around 8PM, which was a little bit later than we usually pop into the Golden Cruise.
In-progreess shot See Pinkee's website for more. 
 The same Model A Coupe that I'd seen at Good Guys was there again. Every time I see this car I'm reminded what a huge difference a shop like Pinkee's can make on the build of a car. In looking more at the interior of the coupe, I was taken by how much subtlety is at play. No one detail jumps out at you. But it's the cumulative effect of the many small touches that makes the car badass. The aircraft style gauges. The three 5-gallon cans connected together for gas tanks. The steering column mount. The recessed gauge panel. Wow. This car has it all.
(Shot pilfered from Pinkee's website.)


On a seperate note, I saw a guy breaking down his drum kit, after his performance. I struck up a briaef conversation about his aqua metal flake drums. Most likey a surf band, from the looks of the woodie he was loading his kit into and the floral shirt he was wearing. I told him I was toying with the idea of using the same sparkly material for a dash board and he told me about Precision Drum, where he'd bought the material to refinish his kit. He explained that the material comes in sheets, is pretty thick, and that getting it to stick is no problem assuming you use a quality adhesive and your surface was relatively flat and uniform. He had used a 3M rubber cement product with good results. 
Now granted, So Cal Speed Shop has sold Fender instrument clusters for a few years now, so let's not suggest I invented the idea. But while I liked them a lot, I want to do one-off. Something more along the lines of the reference shot I pilfered from Bob Bleed's Facebook page.
 

















I'd be using my own color, of curse, probably an aqua metal flake like the stuff I saw last night, or like the Fibes drum kit color I referenced a couple of years ago in this very blog. Yep, it always comes around full circle with me.




No comments: