Wednesday, February 16, 2011

HOMEWARD BOUND --A new thematic thought for the roadster

As those who know me can attest, restraint is not my strong suit. Case in point, the tiki truck. Practical?
Not really. But boy was it fun to build. Sure, it would have been cool without the whole tiki motif, but would it have had the ability to polarize crowds? To strike the hot or cold nerve in people? I think not. Nobody is middle ground on Ratiki. They either love it or they hate it. And frankly, that's what makes it so much fun to drive. Which leads to an thematic idea I've had in the back of my mind for quite some time now. What if, instead of painting the roadster a lime green color, which I've touched upon throughout this blog, I instead established a theme for the car that has less to do with color? And what if that theme afforded me an opportunity to make choices based on the theme? The idea is to call the car "Homeward Bound", and the car could be adorned with tattoo style art. Think Sailor Jerry style. Design touches could be vaguely nautical. A duvall-style boat windshield. A vintage boat steering wheel. The interior could have a Polynesian influence, even use barkcloth and Seagrass, feeling kinda Polynesian in influence. What if the car's design had the same influences that returning soldiers brought home with them from the war? Suddenly, the point would be less about what color I'm painting it, but rather what feels right for that theme. Maybe a simple color like a light bamboo color would feel appropriate. The name "Homeward Bound" also captures a feeling of homesickness, which may be why it's resonating with me. I miss my West Coast. I miss Austin. Perhaps "Homeward Bound" speaks to my sense of being in a strange place and wanting to get back to the things I love. So there you have it. That's the thought that has been rolling around in my head.


 

1 comment:

AJ Elias said...

I remember the your Tiki car from Mooneyes 2006? When it was in the Sheriffs station lot. I'm one of those that was in the LIKE column.

And I like where you are going with this post. Nobody might remember "that lime green roadster". But they may remember the "Tattooed roadster". I still talk about the Tiki car with friend.